Cycads are flushing

The plant forum
LostInJapan

Cycads are flushing

Post by LostInJapan »

Several are flushing now.

Cycas revoluta 'alba' - this is the yellow flushing version that is virtually unknown in the west.  Rainy, overcast morning today, so it is hard to show the "real color" with my crappy little phone camera.  If grown in full sun, the color is truly yellow cast, but in the shadier garden of my house it is more lime green.
Cycas revoluta 'variegata' - as the name says, this one has variegated leaves, but the pattern is spotty.  In the west this form often not favored since it looks "diseased" to many.  In Japan it is coveted.
Dioon edule 'Palma Sola' - the widespread and highly variable cycad of Mexico.  This form, which has often been thought of as a separate species, is very vigorous and faster growing than most other forms.  Lovely, easy to grow, but still quite slow.
Dioon edule v. edule - the common form, but even with these there are different morphs.  Extremely slow growing.  Flushes pink and green.
Zamia pseudoparasitica - the only epiphytic cycad, hailing from the mountains of northern Panama.  These were grown from seed over a decade ago, and are quite valuable at this point.  I don't know their sexes yet since they haven't coned, but if they turn out to be a mated pair, then their value would be even more. 
David F

Re: Cycads are flushing

Post by David F »

Lovely, thanks for sharing these! I’m hoping my 35 year old Lepidozamia peroffskyana will push new fronds this summer, as the old ones are flattening out and taking up more room than I’d like in my too small garden. It is coning again now, but no signs of new fronds.
Last edited by David F on Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peadarjj

Post by Peadarjj »

New flush’s are always a magnet for nibbling creepy crawlies here which is very annoying!

Cycas revoluta

Lepidozamia peroffskyana
John P

Post by John P »

Try my cycad thread on the EPS forum. Anyone can now view posts but you need to register for free to post.

https://m.palmsociety.org.uk/post/1/14913

John
LostInJapan

Post by LostInJapan »

David, yes, L. peroffskyana is a beast of a plant once it gets going. I started with a seedling just 13 years ago and it is wanting to take over the carport now!

Peadar, do you grow the Lepidozamia outdoors year round?

John, have you tried growing any other cycads like Macrozamia or Dioon?

Here’s the C. revoluta ‘alba’ today. Keeping bugs off the developing fronds is a chore since I don’t like to use chemical sprays until I must.

Paul S

Post by Paul S »

I have a small assortment of cycads planted out in my new bit of garden. A few C. revoluta moved from the old garden are flushing in their brighter, hotter new homes. Lepidozamia peroffskyana also moved and, although still settling in from the transplant has flushed new leaves - this year 3 are on the way up. Newly planted in the new bit, these have been in 3 years and flushed each year:
Cycas panzhihuaensis
Encephalartos lehmannii
E fiderici-guilielmi
Dioon edule
Macrozamia communis
M moorei
The latter 2 don't flush, as such, but push new growth whenever it is warm. So not much this year. I'm not at home at the moment but will take some pictures when I get back.
LostInJapan

Post by LostInJapan »

That's quite a list Paul. The Encephalartos in particular surprise me.
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

They surprised me, too, when I first grew them but both spp will flush here each year, not just hot years. The old leaves tend to get quite scruffy so it is just as well :) The E.f-g is the first of my cycads to flush. They are all still getting established, hopefully as they settle in they will produce more leaves annually.

I grew E. lehmannii outside for several years in the mid-late 00s - quite a big plant with a watermelon-sized caudex that would flush a dozen or more leaves each year. At that point, pre- my worst winter, my policy decision was to not protect anything in the garden. Summer '09 a friend came round (Dave Bryson, for those who remember) and suggested that the E.l was too nice a plant to risk outside without any protection and convinced me I should I dig it up and pot it. Had he not suggested that I almost certainly would have lost it as, without protection, I think -8C and 2 weeks below freezing would have killed it. Now I am a little more pragmatic and a little less dogmatic - if it threatens to go below -5C I cover it (and the other non-cycas cycads).

Edit for pics of new growth - here the E. lehmannii

Here the Lepidozamia

John P

Post by John P »

My cycad is very slow due to a cool week. Even under it cover it struggling to heat up.

John
Peadarjj

Post by Peadarjj »

Yes these two stay out pretty much all year I had them in the shed last year over winter and then badly acclimatised them and they got burned by the sun! They sometimes grow a new frond in the middle of winter
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic