Some pics of my garden

The plant forum
MartinNicklin

Re: Some pics of my garden

Post by MartinNicklin »

Again, lovely Andrew. I see you have Acanthus Whitewater or Tasmanian Angel. I'm on about my 5/6th attempt to grow this. Failed in my last garden, failed in this ... despite other Acanthus doing very well. There must be issues with growing this successfully as you see it in every garden centre but I have never seen it successfully growing in any garden. The best I have seen is my neighbour who has grown two roots in two pots and they are coming along nicely. He has given me a piece which is also growing, though I wouldn't say spectacularly. I've suggested to my neighbour that he keeps them potted rather than planted out whilst he is managing to keep them alive!
Your crocosmias seem early. I've got a border of them alternated with agapanthus, both of which I love.

Andrew in Germany

Post by Andrew in Germany »

MartinNicklin wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:44 pm I see you have Acanthus Whitewater or Tasmanian Angel. I'm on about my 5/6th attempt to grow this. Failed in my last garden, failed in this ... despite other Acanthus doing very well.
Your crocosmias seem early. I've got a border of them alternated with agapanthus, both of which I love.
You've got a good eye Martin! I didn't think anyone would notice it. I bought it this spring on a whim, having never seen this Acanthus before. I planted it out and the slugs got most of it quickly and the rest just turned brown and it now looks horrible. I don't think I'm going to try again. I've got some Canna Stuttgart growing away and it's doing alright but the variegation is difficult to keep healthy.

I've never had such a bounty of crocosmias as I am having this season. I think it's because of the almost non stop rain and mild temps we're having. I wanted to get a few different cultivars in there but there was never any room. What is the name of the last pic, the dark orange crocosmia? That is a beauty.

As for agapanthus, I can't get them through the winter in situ here, and although I have a pot of them they don't do well enough for me. Or rather I for them.
MartinNicklin

Post by MartinNicklin »

Andrew, that is Crocosmia Walberton Bright Eyes. It's not as dark as it looks but it's a real beauty with its contrasting "eye". Look it up on the net for better images. It may be easier to get hold of over on the continent.
You could try the Acanthus in a pot? As I said, my neighbour has his growing quite nicely in a pot and from images on the net (and I've only ever seen this plant flourishing on the net!), if you can get it going, it's certainly a statement plant, especially in full flower.
My Canna Stuttgart is planted in the greenhouse. A big clump of these is VERY impressive but I'm struggling to grow it. To me, it's a good alternative to the hugely expensive variegated Musa plants you can get, to give a similar effect at a fraction of the cost.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic