Where have all the Syneilesis gone?

The plant forum
JohnH

Where have all the Syneilesis gone?

Post by JohnH »

I understand Syneilesis can be tricky to grow and producing viable seed even trickier, but all the usual suspects seem to have given up trying.
I would imagine demand will always outstrip supply, but I have been on several nurseries waiting lists for years (literally!) without luck, and am presuming imported seed isn't working and producing seed in the UK not worth the effort. Unless...... ? :|
charlie

Re: Where have all the Syneilesis gone?

Post by charlie »

Have you tried shady plants? thought I saw some on their stand earlier this year
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Thank you Charlie, I will drop them an email.
Unfortunately, they don't have them listed online or do mail order, but they attend a lot of Rare Plant Fairs. It seems the furthest North they venture is not far from Loughborough (I wonder if Kev has been?). If they still have stock, it would certainly be worth the trip over for me.
Maya

Post by Maya »

John, I am not sure if you will be interested, but I have bought and imported successfully from Japan some very interesting Syneilesis. I have never had to pay extra tax, etc. I pay only for the phytocertificate and transport, which are very reasonable. The international order opens in the autumn and they send them from November onwards (till end of March I think), bare root.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Thank you Maya, that sounds very interesting. I thought they would be sending seeds (a bit of a lottery with Syneilesis) but bare root is definitely the way to go.
I have done a brief search, but I can't find any Japanese nurseries that export to the UK. Are the suppliers growers that you know?
Maya

Post by Maya »

I found the Japanese nursery via the Scottish rock garden club and British alpine society.
https://www.yuzawa-engei.net/07Overseas/. The order opens in September. I email them my list, they send me back an invoice. When the time comes, they send me a paypal invoice, which I pay and that is that.I am not sure if there are other options for payment besides Paypal.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Thanks again, Maya. I am looking forward to seeing their plant list, it sounds fascinating. I just know I won't be able to resist.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic