Patrick Sullivan’s Garden in Fallbrook, California

The plant forum
David F

Patrick Sullivan’s Garden in Fallbrook, California

Post by David F »

Here’s some photos from a gorgeous garden down in northern San Diego County, in the vicinity of Rancho Santa Fe/Fallbrook which is a wealthy residential suburb of San Diego. Patrick the owner is a docent volunteer at the Huntington Botanical Garden in San Marino, California and has an excellent eye for planting and grows everything to perfection.

charlie

Re: Patrick Sullivan’s Garden in Fallbrook, California

Post by charlie »

Wow, I have a niece in San Diego, must try and arrange a visit!
Stan510

Post by Stan510 »

Interesting to see Aloe vanbalenii there blooming the same time as here. We usually trail by a few weeks at everything subtropical to socal. I have seen Alluaudia procera growing in the bay area. This streak of mild winters since 1998 is adding up.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

That really is a stunning garden and, as you say David, everything is positioned and grown beautifully.
The only thing my wet, windswept mud patch has in common with it at the moment is the grey sky :lol: , but even on a dull day the San Diego sky still looks big and dramatic as a backdrop.

What is the plant tumbling out of the gorgeous stump/planter on page 6? Strangely, I spotted a very similar plant when looking through an online succulent nursery in the UK a couple of weeks ago, but I can't find it again and I can't remember the name of the plant.
Stan510

Post by Stan510 »

That might be Deuterocohnia brevifolia. A bromeliad hardy to zone 9b.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Thank you Stan, that looks very much like the plant I saw and definitely another one I would need to bring under cover over winter.
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

I think it is more likely D. lorentziana, which is similar but larger. Individual rosettes of D. brevifolia are only 1.5-2cm-ish. If kept totally dry over winter it is quite hardy, actually - D. brevifolia even more so.
Stan510

Post by Stan510 »

A plant that would cover your fist for just a size example,was $50 at a local nursery i ran across a few years ago. I should have splurged.
David F

Post by David F »

I last visited Patrick’s garden with a garden tour to San Diego with the Hortisexuals some 20 years ago now. His garden has only gotten better since then. It’s definitely worth a visit if you’re in the area, along with the obligatory trip to the Huntington Botanical Garden in San Marino and the San Diego Botanical Garden in Encinitas, and of course the San Diego Zoo.
Stan510

Post by Stan510 »

On the net i've seen bits and pieces of the Jim Bishop garden in San Diego, Do you know him also?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic