2024 odds and sods

The plant forum
charlie

Re: 2024 odds and sods

Post by charlie »

Peadarjj

Post by Peadarjj »

King George about to flower for the first time!

R. sinofalconeri also flowering for the first time

R. griffithianum always the first to start growth in the spring, most years gets hit with frost,looking good so far
David F

Post by David F »

The bamboo, Jasmine, Pandorea and Calceolaria all look quite stunning, I’ve never seen that Jasmine here. I’ve got a huge tree of the Pittosporum undulating, after having removed 2 others. They are a seriously messy tree here with all the sticky seed pods dropping and they self-sow so readily here. But it’s just not a very freeze resistant species and I think I prefer the flowers on Pittosporum eugenoides, which I’ve planted 3 of in my back corner as replacement for all the wind-downed Pittosporum tenuifolium former 40’ tall boundary screen I lost back in March of 2023.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Dodging the downpours

Ada starting to hit her stride, after a slow start its proved just as good as the red species form.

ImageCrinodendron Ada Hoffman by charliepridham, on Flickr

Each year this Azara surprizes me, its rather tucked away by some compost heaps and its normally the scent wafting off it that alerts me to it being in flower!
(Edit I notice I have mislabelled the Azara pictures - it should be Azara serrata)

ImageAzara serratifolia by charliepridham, on Flickr

ImageAzara serratifolia 2 by charliepridham, on Flickr
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Charlie, your 'Ada' has many more flowers and a better colour than mine. A poor choice of planting locatiion means that mine is now in too much shade.
I guess it won't much appreciate being moved now.
MartinNicklin

Post by MartinNicklin »

I had a magnificent hookerianum at my last place so covered with red blooms that even with my severe colour blindness I could see the red against the green. So, I decided to get one for here. It’s grown very rapidly but I’m disappointed it is the pink form (ADA Hoffman) which to my eyes looks “wishy-washy”. Still it’s a nice evergreen but I still intend to get the straight species.

Iris confusa is doing well. So tall, in fact, that the flowers are going off the photo:

I love the dainty flowers and this plant always for some reason attracts orange tips to the garden but it’s been so cold this year there have been none. The flowers on Cruella have a little more colour but the plant lacks the stature:

… and I know many would hate the variegation which I do love. Martyn Rix has buds but is yet to flower and there are buds on my Iris wattii. I’m very fond of these small flowered Iris.

I’ve been totally shocked at the growth of Solanum Glasnevin. Just starting to flower, this was a £1.79 starter plant from Morrissons but has swamped the neighbour’s leylandii and is in fact trailing down their side of the trees as well. It makes a solid bank of blue when in full flower in a month or so. However, I had no idea they were so aggressive!

MartinNicklin

Post by MartinNicklin »

Well the Solanum is now in glorious full flower. A £1.79 plant a couple of years ago, I’ve been stunned at the vigour of this plant (my 16ft greenhouse appearing dwarfed by it). It’s now mingling with next door’s clematis and there is a Rosa banksii which has reached the top on his side which I’m hoping will trail over my side and mingle with the solanum.

He asked me for a suggestion of a plant to cover his leylandii and I suggested this rose which did nothing for several years and I think he was on the verge of getting rid of it but I told him to be patient. It has paid off:

Looking nice also at the moment is my Akebia longeracemosa which I’m so pleased to see flower after my last one grew to epic proportions but never flowered:

Magnolia x wieseneri is good with a lovely scent:

This Disporum is a favourite of mine but I know will strike hatred into the hearts of many!

I bought this Nandina as Summer Sunset but I have doubts. Firstly, it is not compact and stands about 9ft tall. Secondly, the foliage remains red all year. Any suggestions? Whatever it is, it’s a super plant:

I’m very fond of Camassia John Treasure (though I love all Camassia!) which took me a while to get hold of but it’s bulking up now:

Jovellana violacea has got through the winter unprotected and looking good although punctata planted right behind it and protected by a wall and straw died:

My Podophyllum gets sun baked all day and is bone dry yet comes back every year without moaning. It’s a big plant now getting to about 3ft:

And three more plants looking good are Libertia grandiflora, Smilacina and Persicaria Purple Fantasy which has made a nice skirt around my fig tree.

When the weather is good, May is certainly a beautiful month!
charlie

Post by charlie »

Quick whiz around last night before the rain starts

ImageSemele androgyna by charliepridham, on Flickr

ImageMacfadyena unguis-cati 2 by charliepridham, on Flickr

ImageBudleja salviafolia 2 by charliepridham, on Flickr

ImageWisteria showa Beni (2) by charliepridham, on Flickr

ImageWisteria showa Beni by charliepridham, on Flickr
Chad

Post by Chad »

MartinNicklin wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:30 am
...Smilacina ...

I had to look that up!

I grow it as Maianthemum racemosum.

Chad
MartinNicklin

Post by MartinNicklin »

I've given up with plant names Chad. I bought it years ago as Smilacina so that's what I have stuck with though I know it's known more so as Maianthemum. I like it very much but I've never had fruit on it which I see it can produce from your link. Does your plant produce berries? Does it need a second plant?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic