Kniphofia northiae

The plant forum
Paul S

Re: Kniphofia northiae

Post by Paul S »

OK, your plant is F. bicolor ssp bicolor. This is the more tender version, more common in the SW than the hardier one, ssp canaliculata. If you were to cut a section of one of those leaves around mid-way, it would be a flattened diamond shape. The U shape of the other one is quite pronounced. Somewhere I have a comparison pic.

I believe Clive calls his plants Ochagavia rosea, in any case!
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Thanks Paul, I can see what you mean about the flatterned diamond cross section now.
This picture is of a Fascicularia bicolor (according to label) that I bought some years ago. It has narrower leaves than the new purchase which have a more pronounced U shaped cross section, so is this one the ssp. caniculata?

Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Yes. Well, ssp canaliculata.
MartinNicklin

Post by MartinNicklin »

Paul have you reached a conclusion on the authenticity of your plant? I bought one from the Big Plant Nursery a few years back. I was dubious and so resorted to posting on GOTE for a definitive ID. I was informed it looked like “the real thing”. I also contacted the nursery as I was not convinced. They assured me that it was the only Kniphofia they sell and it was correct. I noticed the other day a flower spike. Here it is. What do folks think? I LOVE Kniphofia. I would love to get my hands on multiflora. What a plant! Does anyone have it in a pot in their greenhouse/conservatory?

JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Sorry for jumping in Martin, but northiae problems and finding the real thing has been driving me nuts :lol:
I would dare to say yours is not northiae, or at best not pure northiae.
If you look on the EPS site, there is a very, very, very long thread discussing the various imposters out there.
As far as I can see the leaves of your plant seem to have a keel to the underside and, although northiae leaves can vary in length, are not broad enough. The flower also looks wrong, it should be shorter and the inflorescence fatter. Does your plant sucker?

Here is my PGP northiae (photo from a couple of weeks ago), the suckers haven't returned after being removed, and the whole plant is larger than it appears on the pic. It flowered last year, but is resting this year.

MartinNicklin

Post by MartinNicklin »

John, you don't have to apologise for "jumping in" as surely that's what forums like this are for. All advice, experiences, knowledge or suggestions are gratefully received.

No, my plant has never suckered. Originally, I thought the leaves were too slim and not glaucous enough. The response from BPN was that it was due to their rich compost. My plant is also right next to my pond which I constantly allow to overflow and it's also next to the patio which is often hosed off, especially after repotting other plants on there. It's growing in often saturated soil which may - or may not - explain its appearance.

PS looks like you have a lovely garden!

PPS just re-read the thread. Are you saying that you think your plant is or might not be the true northiae?
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

MartinNicklin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:36 pm Paul have you reached a conclusion on the authenticity of your plant?
Martin, I have 4 clones now. My most recently acquired is one from Botanico nursery but it is too early to say if that one is genuine. My oldest one as pictured at the beginning was from Cotswold Garden Flowers and suckers like crazy. I quite like it, as it happens, and it is going to stay put where I planted it. But it isn't what I wanted. Second oldest clone was from an Essex nursery called Beeches but it transpires they bought their stock from CGF's wholeslae outfit. Then John H was kind enough to send me an offset but I took my eye off the ball and forgot which one this was.

Yonks ago I had the real thing, should have looked after it better!
MartinNicklin

Post by MartinNicklin »

My goodness, who would have thought that a plant which superficially appears to be reasonably freely available could, in truth, be so elusive!
charlie

Post by charlie »

May be worth contacting the Eden project who hold the National collection and see if they can shed any light on the issue?
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

It's rather frustrating, especially when everyone states theirs is categorically the real thing when it isn't. Bob Brown, whose opinion I value, was adamant that the clone he sold at CGF was the real thing, yet it clearly proved not to be the case. They had the real thing growing in the display garden there so the plants he put into tissue culture must have been accidentally hybridised or the TC process altered them in some way (which can apparently happen).

Also it is not helpful to find habitat pictures that show the plant isn't always solitary, so the presence of suckers doesn't necessarily mean it isn't true. You have to wait until first flowering, which is usually a year or three on from buying the plant. We could spend half our lives doing this!

I heard recently that the Architectural Plants one is the real thing, grown from seed. I'll see how the Botanico ones pan out first.

Charlie - I didn't know they held the NC - I might just do that. I spoke with Chris Kidd at Ventnor BG where they also hold a NC but he just basically said 'yes, we have it and it is the real thing'. Can't imagine the Eden Project saying anything more than that, tbh do they have long serving staff there?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic