Kniphofia northiae

The plant forum
Paul S

Kniphofia northiae

Post by Paul S »

Anyone know of a source of the real thing? At the moment it seems like imposters are out in force.
AndyC

Re: Kniphofia northiae

Post by AndyC »

I can't help you source the real thing but I'm pleased you posted the topic.
I lost my plant last winter, not through cold temperatures but as a result of complete neglexc during last summers drought and too much competion from a neighbouring bamboo.
I bought a replacement from an online nursery early this year but have not been convinced by its authenticity. It is still in its 3L pot but already surrounded by pups which my old plant nevere produced during any stage of its life the time I had it. The leaves don't look right either, not glaucous enough.
Anyway, I'll not name the nursery as it is no longer selling the plant anyway.
Good luck and let us know when you do find the real thing please.
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

That is annoying. I have one that came from CGF that they insisted was the real thing. It's a suckering mess.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I can't vouch for them personally, but Botanico list it and have a reasonable reputation.

And list it at a price that is worth a punt even if it turns out to wrong.

Chad
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Thanks Chad. Might be worth a punt. Looks like all the other interesting stuff (to me) is sold out so I'll revisit in spring if a confirmed definite source of the real thing hasn't made itself know by then. Trouble is I could kiss a lot of frogs. Apparently even the Pan Global Plants one suckers and Nick is usually pretty hot on his names.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Here is the PGP version of northiae.
It almost looks like the real thing, until I confess to a little Kniphofia topiary. Not sure I fancy digging up suckers every year, but if anyone would like a freebie, just let me know ;)
After

Before

Leftovers
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

I may have tracked down a source - what this space!
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

I popped into Hardy Exotics nursery yesturday and found about a dozen 3L pots labelled as Kniphofia northiae, smome of them looked 100% right but a few had suckers and didn't look quite right. Unfortunately there was no one on site who could tell me anything about them so I stayed clear. Instead I bought a Fascicularia pitcainifolia :D
Opposite the sales hut is a large bank of plants (rather weed infested now but must have looked splendid once upon a time) on which was growing a clump of what I believe must be Ochagavia rosea. A very handwom plant that was in flower but they didn't have any for sale and I can't find anyone in the UK that does. Is it a rare thing in the UK or not worth growing here? (sorry I've gone somewhat off topic).
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

The one I tracked down is an imposter as well :(

Fascicularia pitcairnifolia is an old name. Does your plant have diamond cross section leaves or skinny U shaped cross section leaves?

And Ochagavia rosea isn't a correct name. There are 4 species of Ochagavea - carnea, litoralis, andina and elegans. It was most likely andina or litoralis. O. andina is the one that is mainly seen, it came into cultivation as carnea via Tresco Abbey Gardens and is mostly labelled as such but then the 'real' O. carnea appeared and a closer look at the paperwork revealed it to be O. andina.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Paul S wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:33 pm The one I tracked down is an imposter as well :(

Fascicularia pitcairnifolia is an old name. Does your plant have diamond cross section leaves or skinny U shaped cross section leaves?

They are not diamond cross section but slightly U shaped

Paul S wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:33 pm
And Ochagavia rosea isn't a correct name. There are 4 species of Ochagavea - carnea, litoralis, andina and elegans. It was most likely andina or litoralis. O. andina is the one that is mainly seen, it came into cultivation as carnea via Tresco Abbey Gardens and is mostly labelled as such but then the 'real' O. carnea appeared and a closer look at the paperwork revealed it to be O. andina.

Sorry, aberration, I meant Ochagavia carnea, but as you say, it may well be O. andina. I must remember to take a camera with me on my next visit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic