Being still in the garden

The plant forum
Andrew in Germany

Being still in the garden

Post by Andrew in Germany »

has its rewards. Not an uncommon sight, a Vanessa atalanta ( Red Admiral ) butterfly, soaking up some morning sun. A small and quiet testament to gardening with a bit of care for nature.

Even though this was taken on my morning walk around the garden slicing up and killing the 1000s of slugs we've had this season! :D

MartinNicklin

Re: Being still in the garden

Post by MartinNicklin »

One of my favourite butterflies. Didn't see many of them at all last year (and precious few of any others) and usually see them here late summer into autumn, especial!y around fruit trees.
Does Germany have the same concerns about drastic declines in birds and insects? Buddlejas are out at the moment. In years past tbey would have been swarming with butterflies. So far I haven't seen a single one. I wonder if it's a case of too little too late.
I have never been one to sit still, neither at work nor at home. Nearing retirement age, this is catching up with me and I'm slowly leaning to sit down and enjoy the moment in the garden ... when we get weather which allows it! Having said that, today I'm cleaning out my pond!
Andrew in Germany

Re: Being still in the garden

Post by Andrew in Germany »

MartinNicklin wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:04 am Does Germany have the same concerns about drastic declines in birds and insects? Buddlejas are out at the moment. In years past tbey would have been swarming with butterflies. So far I haven't seen a single one.
Yes the same observations are here in Germany. This, so far, is the only butterfly I’ve seen, and there are huge swathes of Buddlejas flowering all around us. The bees seem to be doing very well.

I am just about to retire as well, have also had a run around with some aggressive cancer. This has taught me to take more time esp. in the garden. Smelling the Buddlejas now is something I used to do in a hurry while rushing off to get the next project done. I enjoy it now more than I thought.

Perhaps with such a small window in the gardening year for getting all our prized border pushing plants out and growing before the next winter, we are predestined to rushing around so that it all works.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic