Fatsia polycarpa

The plant forum
MartinNicklin

Fatsia polycarpa

Post by MartinNicklin »

For those who want one, Dobbies Garden Centres are selling these, big plants, some with multiple trunks for £25 which is significantly better value than those I’ve seen online.

Karl66

Re: Fatsia polycarpa

Post by Karl66 »

That's a decent price Martin....one of my favourite plants especially when 7/8ft High.
MartinNicklin

Post by MartinNicklin »

Yes Karl. As usual I got home and regretted not buying one. Might pop back tomorrow to see if the double trunked ones are still there.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I recently picked one up for £16.50 at a local(ish) nursery, nearly two foot high with three trunks....well chuffed was I
Taffy

Post by Taffy »

Planted out one of my Edward Needham forms just yesterday. It was air layered from my much larger parent ......

AndyC

Post by AndyC »

That is a very good looking plant Taffy.
Quite a few of the nurseries are selling Fatsia polycarpa 'Green Fingers'. It isn't obvious from the pictures as to whether this form is sufficiently different from the straight F.polycarpa to warrant seek it out.
Anyone growing this form?
MartinNicklin

Post by MartinNicklin »

Well I went and bought Green Fingers yesterday. It’s a nice looking plant but then again I think all fatsia are nice looking!

BenC

Post by BenC »

This is interesting. I have both 'Needhams Form' and 'Green Fingers' forms of Fatsia polycarpa here. Photos below - 'Needhams Form' has very serrated margins to the already deeply lobed leaves, whilst 'Green Fingers' has no serrations to its slightly less lobed leaves. The 'Green Fingers' in Martin's photos shows some serrations. Which suggests to me that either plants called 'Green Fingers' are in fact a huge batch of seed raised plants (with resulting variation) that just needed a quirky marketing name, or else the original 'Green Fingers' selection has become polluted somehow.

Incidentally, strickly speaking, only plants propagated from cuttings off the original collection by Edward Needham at Tregye should be called 'Needhams Form'. Seed raised plants from the original collection will not be 100% genetically idenitcal and should be sold as 'Needhams Lace'.

Needhams Form:
ImagePXL_20240628_140142336 by bcandlin, on Flickr

Green Fingers:
ImagePXL_20240628_140220480 by bcandlin, on Flickr
Chad

Post by Chad »

I don't think that is right Ben, I'm not completely sure of my ground here, and Edward was adamant we were not to name anything after him or his garden, but we did!

This is what I wrote in 2012...

Fatsia polycarpa ‘Edward Needham’s Form’ is an informal name given to plants deriving from the late [and much missed] Edward Needham’s personal collection. Mainly propagated by seed they usually have more finely divided leaves than, for example, most of the Crug plants. They are not one clone and do show some variation. I note Crug have selected out a 'deeply cut' form as well.

'Needham’s Lace' was introduced by Cistus Nurseries in the States [though they don’t list it this year] and I am not sure if it is the same as ‘Edward Needham’s Form’ or if it was a cutting produced clone of a good form of ‘Edward Needham’s Form’. Either way the plants I have seen pictures of fall within the range we see in the Edward’s seedlings.

Your 'Green Fingers' doesn't look right, if the main leaf in the picture is typical. It should look more like one of the 'deeply cut' forms. It is apparently micropropagated, so should be fairly uniform.

We have similar confusion with the 'gracile' or 'Edward's form' of Heptapleurum taiwanianum [used to be a Schefflera].

Chad

ps.
If Mark Fillan reads this I hope he will correct me if I've gotten it wrong.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic