Kniphofia caulescens

The plant forum
KLaban

Re: Kniphofia caulescens

Post by KLaban »

I just got lucky, I bought my original plants some 30 years ago at Architectural Plants and was looking for some more to plant elsewhere. I ordered totally blind online elsewhere and luckily managed to exactly replicate the originals.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

I am very unlucky with plants :lol:
Once mine were planted out, I must confess they didn't have the intense silver/blue appearance hoped for, but they do have what seems to be a low stem developing and stocky upright leaves.

A little annoying the only named variety of caulescens available is the uninspiring 'Coral Breakers' , the more unusual (perhaps?) 'John May' and 'Oxford Blue' seemed to have disappeared completely from the trade.
Peadarjj

Post by Peadarjj »

Still waiting for this to flower, should prob give it a better spot
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Thanks for the heads up Keith, I thought 'Let's Go Planting' would be another of the online Garden Centre bang them in a box and hope brigade, but I was very pleasantly surprised.
As you say, perfectly packaged and, although it looks very similar to the DtoJ caulescens, it is much bigger and stockier. It will be interesting to see how they both develop, and if positioning makes a real difference to the colour.
KLaban

Post by KLaban »

JohnH wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:51 pm Thanks for the heads up Keith, I thought 'Let's Go Planting' would be another of the online Garden Centre bang them in a box and hope brigade, but I was very pleasantly surprised.
As you say, perfectly packaged and, although it looks very similar to the DtoJ caulescens, it is much bigger and stockier. It will be interesting to see how they both develop, and if positioning makes a real difference to the colour.
John, you're welcome. Hopefully they are from the same source and perform well for you.

Cheers.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

AndyC wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:07 pm Recently tried K. uvaria 'Nobilis', first flower forming now which is dull and malformed.
The only poker I won't do without is K. rooperi, really red hot.
I take it all back. The K. uvaria 'Nobilis' has put up another flower stem, 1.8M hign and topped with a large flower head, not half bad.
MartinNicklin

Post by MartinNicklin »

I’m glad because it is a lovely plant.
Mine is is quite a bit of shade so grows incredibly tall but the flowers are not so deep in colour. I may split it and put some in a sunnier spot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic