Kniphofia northiae

The plant forum
MartinNicklin

Re: Kniphofia northiae

Post by MartinNicklin »

I'll leave that one to the purists Charlie! I've just re-read the blurb on the Big Plant Nursery site and he does have a real fondness for this plant which 'could' suggest he is in the know. However, looking at the 3L plant photo (this is the one I bought), the leaves still don't look right to me. Like others, I wanted the plant for its aloe-like, succulent appearance. He puts the appearance down to the rich compost he uses but does anyone have knowledge of whether young plants take a while to develop the look we all want or do they look "right" from the outset?
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Paul, did your latest plant come from Botanico (the tropical nursery guys) or Botanic (the digitalis collection holders)??
My last plant from Botanic is developing quite nicely, but as you say, it will take a couple of years to be sure exactly what it is. Very frustrating!

Martin, after contacting Nick he explained his northiae originated from wild collected seed (by himself) and currently seed from a plant of the original collection growing in his parent's garden. It has the right flower and, after removing the suckers, has the right look too.
Young plants do develop the northiae 'look' after a couple of years, but I would have expected your plant to have lost the keel to the leaves completely by now (flowering size) and become broader irrespective of the rich damp soil it is growing in.
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Sorry, yes - Botanic not Botanico. You have to drive through the grounds of a posh school to get there. Although it is a moot point as they are closing this year.
Peadarjj

Post by Peadarjj »

I think this is Kniphofia northiae at Glasnevin botanical gardens in Dublin
MartinNicklin

Post by MartinNicklin »

Yes that's a magnificent plant and the inflorescence looks right based on images I've seen. I'm convinced my plant from the Big Plant Nursery is not right.
John P

Post by John P »

There is an interesting thread on this topic on the EPS. The forum can be viewed without having to register. https://www.palmsociety.org.uk/post/1/13719

John
John P

Post by John P »

There is an interesting thread on this topic on the EPS. The forum can be viewed without having to register. https://www.palmsociety.org.uk/post/1/13719

John
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic