Querétaro State, Mexico, Quercus Forest Paradise

The plant forum
LostInJapan

Querétaro State, Mexico, Quercus Forest Paradise

Post by LostInJapan »

This video deserves a watch whether you like this youtuber or not. This high elevation oak dominated woodland is full of fantastic plants including Pingucula, Agave and Nolina, to mention a few. Mexico is one of those special places in the world with ecosystems that border on the fantastical.

https://youtu.be/3IoyJp3f00E?si=1iX1BXryoaLT7Hur
Paul S

Re: Querétaro State, Mexico, Quercus Forest Paradise

Post by Paul S »

Thank you for flagging this up! I have actually been to that exact spot! Fabulous memories. Of course I missed a lot of the stuff he was highlighting as my attention was drawn rather to the succulents :lol:

http://www.oasisdesigns.co.uk/Mexicoweb14/11th.htm

The first agaves he identifies as A. montana are exactly that but those he points out later on around 20 mins onwards with the nolinas are not A. montana, they are A. salmiana subsp. crassispina that he saw earlier. Very compact, though - it is feasible that it intergrades with Agave montana as it is just the other side of the canyon. For sure there are A. montana/mitis hybrids dotted about.
Peadarjj

Post by Peadarjj »

Wow amazing! Now I want an Agave montana x mitis!
David F

Post by David F »

Joey used to live here in Oakland and worked on the railroad lines, but has turned his YouTube videos into a sustaining travel botany gig. Personally I find the south side Chicago accent schtick tiresome, but obviously some people really love it. He gets around the world doing what he loves, focusing on plants while hating on people, so his videos kind of miss out on any cultural context or input from locals.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic