Desirable Plants Totnes

The plant forum
JohnH

Desirable Plants Totnes

Post by JohnH »

Only a small nursery, but does any one know if Desirable Plants near Totnes is still running?
None of the links I have found open, or the main site (basically a plant list of unusual stuff, as far as I can remember) work.
Chad

Re: Desirable Plants Totnes

Post by Chad »

My understanding is that Julian and Sarah don't run it commercially anymore.

See a panel bottom right here , and the contact details here.

Chad
NigelJ

Post by NigelJ »

The nursery closed quite a few years ago. After that there was a twice yearly bulb and plant list, divisions and surplus bulbs from their garden.
The last one of these was last summer were they wrote:
"Our nursery days are long gone, and these twice-yearly availability lists have been no more than spares from our
garden, good stuff in small numbers. On our January list we mentioned that this summer list would probably be our last,
and that is the case. Time moves on, but we’ve not given up on plants – far from it! Our plan is to garden properly at last,
to learn to grow things together so they look great rather than so they can be dug up conveniently. Talks will continue
(anywhere! everywhere!) and for Sarah especially the urge to propagate for sale remains strong, so we should be able to
bring an improved selection of plants and bulbs to talks."
The website also went a while ago.
Would recommend the talks if you get a chance though.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Thanks to you both.
I had forgotten about them completely until searching for Epimedium a while back , and more recently their name reappeared as a source of Kniphofia caulescens 'Oxford Blue'.
Shame to see another small (micro) nursery disappearing, but completely understandable.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Julian had a health scare a few years back which along with the fact that their nursery site was on a lease meant they decided to let it go, last time we spoke (at Tregrehan) he was very happy doing talks and writing about plants. They always had interesting things - most of which I struggled to grow!
NigelJ

Post by NigelJ »

"They always had interesting things - most of which I struggled to grow"
Likewise, but along with those I struggled with there were some really good garden plants that are thriving.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic